Hoop is a new tool from Apache Hadoop contributor and enterprise support company Cloudera. Hoop provides access to the Hadoop Distributed File System (HDFS) over HTTP via a REST API. It can be used to exchange data between Hadoop clusters running different versions the platform, or to access data behind a firewall.
Hoop is a complete rewrite of Hadoop HDFS Proxy. Cloudera claims it offers the following advantages over Proxy:
- Support for all HDFS operations (read, write, status).
- Cleaner HTTP REST API.
- JSON format for status data (files status, operations status, error messages).
- Kerberos HTTP SPNEGO client/server authentication and pseudo authentication out of the box (using Alfredo).
- Hadoop proxy-user support.
- Tools such as DistCP could run on either cluster.
You can find out more here.