Home AI predicts win for Germany in Euro 2024 opener, while it’s bad news for England

AI predicts win for Germany in Euro 2024 opener, while it’s bad news for England


  • Euro 2024 kicks off with Germany vs. Scotland; AI predicts a 2-0 win for Germany with 76% likelihood.
  • Octopus AI gives Germany a 40% chance to beat England's 34%, predicting a likely 2-2 draw for their match.
  • Euro 2024 runs from June 14 to July 14, hosted by Germany, with group stage ending June 26 and knockout stage June 29.

The Euro 2024 soccer tournament kicks off today (June 14) with Germany facing Scotland in the first match. Artificial intelligence predicts a 2-0 victory for the host nation, Germany, with a likelihood of 76 per cent.

Luzmo’s Octopus AI, named after the famous Paul the Octopus who forecasted results during Euro 2008 and the 2010 World Cup, calculates challenging odds for England.

The AI also suggests Germany has a 40 per cent chance of winning the tournament outright over, bookmakers’ favorite, England’s 34 per cent. Despite these odds, the digital cephalopod predicts if the two nations were to meet, “the most likely individual score is 2 – 2. This should prove to be an interesting match to follow.” As for tonight’s match, Octopus AI says Scotland’s “spirited attack” is no match for the Germans.

This image features a stylized graphic representing a football match between England and Germany, with the national flags of each country displayed in circular icons. Below the flags, there's a fictional character named "AI Octopus," which is depicted as a cheerful purple octopus adorned with stars. The AI Octopus provides a match prediction, stating that England has a 34% chance of winning and Germany a 40% chance, with a 26% likelihood of a draw. It also predicts that the most likely score will be 2-2, suggesting that it will be an interesting match to follow.
Octopus AI doesn’t have high hopes for England

When and where is Euro 2024?

Germany is the host of Euro 2024, which is the first time it has hosted the UEFA European Championship as a unified nation since the tournament in West Germany in 1988 and the 2006 FIFA World Cup. The championship, running from June 14 to July 14, 2024, includes a group stage that concludes on June 26, followed by the knockout stage starting June 29.

The UEFA European Championship, second only to the FIFA World Cup in viewership, has senior men’s national teams from UEFA members vying for the continental title. Germany and Spain each hold three titles, while Italy and France have won twice. Other past winners include the Soviet Union, Czechoslovakia, the Netherlands, Denmark, Greece, and Portugal, with Spain being the only nation to win back-to-back titles in 2008 and 2012. The last Euros in 2021 was won by Italy who beat England in the final.

Who could win Euro 2024 based on Octopus AI?

Haroen Vermeulen, CTO of Luzmo, explained that the company’s AI model used a method similar to the Monte Carlo simulation to predict tournament outcomes. According to this model, France had the best record in the championship simulations, with 22 victories out of 100. While Luzmo’s home country, Belgium, had a 3.4 per cent chance of winning, England showed a 3.2 per cent chance, albeit with a higher probability of reaching the semifinals.

Vermeulen described the model to The Register as “a match simulator that does a play-by-play simulation of games based on things like offensive ratings, of team’s defensive ratings … to essentially make a probability distribution of how many potential targets and expected goals a certain team would be able to achieve versus another team.”

Featured image: Canva / Luzmo

About ReadWrite’s Editorial Process

The ReadWrite Editorial policy involves closely monitoring the tech industry for major developments, new product launches, AI breakthroughs, video game releases and other newsworthy events. Editors assign relevant stories to staff writers or freelance contributors with expertise in each particular topic area. Before publication, articles go through a rigorous round of editing for accuracy, clarity, and to ensure adherence to ReadWrite's style guidelines.

Suswati Basu
Tech journalist

Suswati Basu is a multilingual, award-winning editor and the founder of the intersectional literature channel, How To Be Books. She was shortlisted for the Guardian Mary Stott Prize and longlisted for the Guardian International Development Journalism Award. With 18 years of experience in the media industry, Suswati has held significant roles such as head of audience and deputy editor for NationalWorld news, digital editor for Channel 4 News and ITV News. She has also contributed to the Guardian and received training at the BBC As an audience, trends, and SEO specialist, she has participated in panel events alongside Google. Her…

Get the biggest tech headlines of the day delivered to your inbox

    By signing up, you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy. Unsubscribe anytime.

    Tech News

    Explore the latest in tech with our Tech News. We cut through the noise for concise, relevant updates, keeping you informed about the rapidly evolving tech landscape with curated content that separates signal from noise.

    In-Depth Tech Stories

    Explore tech impact in In-Depth Stories. Narrative data journalism offers comprehensive analyses, revealing stories behind data. Understand industry trends for a deeper perspective on tech's intricate relationships with society.

    Expert Reviews

    Empower decisions with Expert Reviews, merging industry expertise and insightful analysis. Delve into tech intricacies, get the best deals, and stay ahead with our trustworthy guide to navigating the ever-changing tech market.