The head of marketing for the Middle East and North Africa, Ghonim went missing January 27 after taking part in the protests that began in Egypt on January 25. The last word from Ghonim came from his Twitter account, where he'd posted "Pray for #Egypt. Very worried as it seems that government is planning a war crime tomorrow against people. We are all ready to die #Jan25."
Now Ghonim has just tweeted for the first time since then, the confirmation of his safety that many have been waiting for.
Following his disappearance, many protesters said they believed Ghonim had been detained by the Egyptian government. But the government had not confirmed that it was holding Ghonim until Sunday night, when the state-owned television said that that was the case and that he would be released today.
The opposition movement had named Ghonim as its spokesperson, a move that was aimed at hastening his release.