Just as Sony Pictures canned the premiere of The Interview, the film that triggered its now-infamous cyber attack, U.S. intelligence sources told The New York Times Wednesday that North Korea was indeed “centrally involved” in the hack.
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un previously denied responsibility, but unnamed “senior administration officials” now tell The Times they have reason to believe the country was behind the exploit: Data forensics unearthed a computer that had been previously used in cyberattacks on South Korea. The evidence strongly suggests—though does not definitively prove—North Korea’s involvement.
The White House hasn’t yet decided whether to publicly point any fingers, said the sources, even though it essentially considers the matter a cyberterrorism campaign. But diplomacy is key. Tensions between North Korea and the U.S. could easily escalate—particularly since the latest threats levied by the supposed attackers on Tuesday invoked the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.
We will clearly show it to you at the very time and places “The Interview” be shown, including the premiere, how bitter fate those who seek fun in terror should be doomed to.
Soon all the world will see what an awful movie Sony Pictures Entertainment has made.
The world will be full of fear.
Remember the 11th of September 2001.
We recommend you to keep yourself distant from the places at that time.
(If your house is nearby, you’d better leave.)
Whatever comes in the coming days is called by the greed of Sony Pictures Entertainment.
All the world will denounce the SONY.
Sony put the kibosh on release plans Wednesday, as several theaters—including Regal Entertainment, AMC Theaters, Cinemark and Carmike Cinemas—canned their plans to show the comedy, which features an assassination plot against Kim Jong Un.
Sources at both NBC News and USA Today have corroborated The New York Times report, those outlets tweeted, though Wired finds the evidence rather weak.
Lead image courtesy of Sony