ReadWrite Guest Author Guidelines
We’re always open to guest writers on ReadWrite, as long as the writing is high quality and a good fit with our style. We’re interested in stories with learning and action for makers and founders who want to build new technologies and bring them to the masses. From guest authors, we’re looking for expertise- and data-based analysis, not straight news reports.
Please note that we do not typically run product or services reviews by guest authors, and, as noted below, guest authors cannot promote companies they work for or have a business relationship with.
The first thing we ask of potential guest writers is that you submit a post to readwriteweb.submittable.com. Please note these technical requirements:
- Post must be submitted as a link to a shared online document. We recommend Quip, but whatever service you use, make sure that the document is accessible to anyone with the link. Do not share it via a specific email address.
- If you want to include images, please also share them via an online service (Flickr, Dropbox, etc.) and include the link. Do not include images to which you have not secured the rights. If you are using your own images, note that. If you use an image from a photo licensing service like AP, Getty, or Shutterstock, note the source and include the name and email address of your representative so we can verify that you have rights to the image. You are solely responsible for obtaining these rights and by submitting a post, you represent and warrant to ReadWrite that you have done so.
Some other notes:
- We don’t guarantee to publish your submission, but we will review it and make a yes/no decision on publication. Because of the high volume of submissions, we’re not able to give timetables on review or feedback beyond an acceptance or rejection. Please don’t email us to ask about the status of your submission, as this leads to further delays.
- We reserve the right to edit the post as needed for style, content, length, etc. Our policy is to give guest authors a chance to review our edits before posting when possible, but ReadWrite retains final editorial control.
- By submitting a post to us, you are affirming that the content is original to you, the author, and has not appeared elsewhere online or in print. (In certain circumstances we will accept material that has already been published. If you feel like this should be the case for your article, please state where and when it ran when you pitch your post.)
- We don’t pay for guest posts.
- Every guest author gets a short bio (two to three sentences) on their author page where they can link to their company, blog, projects, Twitter, etc. However, in order to maintain editorial standards, your post must not promote companies that you work for or have a business relationship with. If you mention a company you have a relationship with, now or in the past, you must disclose this to us.
If you’re interested in some examples, here are a few posts that we think nailed what we’re looking for from guest authors. They’re analytical, intelligently critical and aren’t afraid to dive deeply into a topic. As you can see, the word count and writing styles vary.
If this all sounds good, please submit your post at readwriteweb.submittable.com and we will review it.
We look forward to working with you.