Nokia announced its new Lumia smartphones today at an event in New York City. There are a lot of things to like, including a variety of colors, innovative NFC speakers and wireless charging. We got hands-on time with some Lumia devices and took pictures that show off a few strengths of these distinctive devices.
- The Nokia Lumia 820 (left) with removable backs that come in a variety of colors, including deep purple. The Lumia 920 (right) will be the flagship Windows Phone 8 smartphone when it is released in Q4 this year.
- Showing off the new resizable Hubs and Tiles of Windows Phone 8. Tiles now come in three sizes: large/wide, regular squares and small squares. Tiles can be personalized to individual people showing every message from text, email, phone calls or social.
- The JBL speaker comes in a variety of colors and has a wireless charger and NFC built in.
- The Lumia is place on top of the JBL and will charge. If music is playing through the smartphone, near-field communication will transfer it from the device and have it play on the speakers with just a tap.
- Nokia and Microsoft have partnered with several publishers for exclusive apps that will have the Nokia PureView camera built right into them, including CNN's iReport.
- Nokia bought a company called Scalado that specialized in mobile camera software a few months ago and has instituted a lot of the company's features. In this picture, I was looking down right before the picture was taken but it was edited so that I am looking straight at the camera without taking another picture.
- Nokia is big into color customization. No more monochromatic black and white smartphones. The Lumia 820 comes with a removable back panel in a variety of colors, including these and more (like the purple above).