report on a survey that asked students how they use technology in the classroom. Almost 300,000 students from kindergarden through 12th grade - along with 43,000 parents, 35,000 teachers, 2,000 librarians, 3,500 administrators - took part in the study.Our top story this week was Audrey Watters'
The results show that parents and teachers' desire to either provide or improve access to digital tools in the classroom is strong. And teachers and administrators are confident they're doing a good job using technology to enhance how students learn. But fewer than half the kids agreed. And it's no wonder: The majority of administrators surveyed have no interest in incorporating one of the most common computing devices in the world - the cell phone - into their schools this year.
After the jump you'll find more of this week's top news stories on some of the key trends that are shaping the Web - mobile, location, Internet of Things - plus highlights from our six channels. Read on for more.
Top Stories of the Week
- What Do Kids Say Is The Biggest Obstacle To Technology At School?
- LinkedIn's Answer to Facebook's Open Graph
- Twitter to Offer Brand Pages Like Facebook's, Report Says
- An iPhone User's First Days on Android: Where Are the Apps and Why is My Phone Frozen?
- Thanks to Kinect, Google's Gmail Motion Joke Becomes Reality
Check Out The ReadWriteWeb iPhone App
- Google Brings Hotpot Recommendations to Places, Almost Reinvents Yelp
- Facebook Pushes Location: Adds Event Check-Ins, Places Maps
Internet of Things
ReadWriteEnterprise is devoted to enterprise 2.0 and using social software inside organizations.
- 5 Apps That Bring SharePoint to the iPad
- Watch Google I/O from the Comfort of Your Own Home
- Linux Celebrates its 20th Anniversary and the Story of its Roots [Infographic]
ReadWriteStart is a resource for startups and entrepreneurs.
- 5 Tools to Improve Your Idea Before You Write a Line of Code
- FounderLY: An Open Platform for Sharing Startup Stories
- LevelUp Your Startup with a New Offer from SCVNGR
ReadWriteCloud is dedicated to virtualization and cloud computing.
- Data Defined [Infographic]
- Facebook's Open Compute Project Means Infrastructure is Now a Commodity
- The NewSQL Movement
ReadWriteBiz is a resource and guide for small to medium businesses.
- What Google +1 Means for Small Businesses and Site Owners
- Hands-On with Google Docs for iPad and iPhone
- Should Companies Restrict Web Access For Employees? Maybe a Little
ReadWriteHack is a resource and guide for developers.
- 6 Free E-Books and Tutorials for Learning and Mastering Node.js
- The Guardian is Migrating Its Website from Java to Scala
- Video: Node.js Tutorials
ReadWriteMobile is dedicated to helping its community understand the strategic business and technical implications of developing mobile applications.
- List of Android Phones Getting Gingerbread
- Mono for Android Ships, Now .NET Developers Can Build Android Apps
- Mobile-Patterns: New Resource for Mobile App Makers from Foursquare's Lead Designer
Enjoy your weekend everyone!
Subscribe to the Weekly Wrap-up
You can subscribe to the Weekly Wrap-up by RSS or by email below.
RWW Weekly Wrap-up Email Subscription form: