Seesmic and Yammer announced today a plugin that brings Yammer's enterprise microblogging and social networking tool to Seesmic's desktop social media application. In addition to making Yammer more appealing to companies that also use external social media, the integration helps Seesmic differentiate itself from other social media dashboards by offering more internal collaboration options.
Seesmic users can download the plugin from the marketplace section of the Seesmic Desktop app. The Seesmic Web client and various mobile clients do not yet have Yammer support.
The Yammer plugin for Seesmic allows users to:
- View their Yammer feed, including replies, direct messages, sent messages, liked items, bookmarked items and RSS feeds.
- Post new messages to Yammer, or cross-post to other services such as Facebook and Twitter.
- Search Yammer for keywords or phrases.
- Reply to, like or bookmark messages.
- View user profiles, including a user's past messages.
- Update their Yammer profile.
Seesmic received a $4 million investment from Salesforce.com and Softbank last month. Seesmic began integrating Chatter last fall and announced a public beta earlier this month. A beta version of Chatter support is also available for Seesmic's Android client.
Yammer directly competes with Chatter, as well as several other enterprise microblogging and collaboration tools.
In addition to Chatter and Yammer, Seesmic now supports Facebook, Foursquare, LinkedIn, Twitter and several other services.