Virtual Private Cloud service today. The VPC service lets customers create a slice of private, isolated space within the AWS cloud that is only available through a VPN connection. Today, AWS announced several updates to the service, including a wizard for easier VPC creation, improved access controls and the ability to access VPC resources without a VPN connection.Amazon Web Services announced several updates to its
AWS has been seen as a developer-centric, rather than an enterprise, or cloud solution due to its limited support and lack of management options. New management tools like the ones announced today, and CloudFormation, along with the platform-as-a-service offering Elastic Beanstalk, may help turn this situation around.
According to the Amazon Web Services blog, the new features include:
- A new VPC Wizard to streamline the setup process for a new VPC.
- Full control of network topology including subnets and routing.
- Access controls at the subnet and instance level, including rules for outbound traffic.
- Internet access via an Internet Gateway.
- Elastic IP Addresses for EC2 instances within a VPC.
- Support for Network Address Translation (NAT).
- Option to create a VPC that does not have a VPN connection.
The blog goes into more detail about the features.