Data Sciences Summer Institute is a six week summer program for students interested in data science. It will be held at the University of Illinois Department of Computer Science and include: a class on the mathematical foundations of data science, advanced tutorials, expert speakers and collaborative research projects. Why go? Well, data science is shaping up to be a smart career choice for the 21st century, and this looks like an excellent way for computer science majors to more acquainted with the field.The
Here are the subjects the summer program covers:
- Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing, and Information Extraction
- Computer Vision
- Information Retrieval and Web Information Access
- Knowledge Discovery in Social & Information Networks
Compare that with the top three college majors Microsoft recommends:
- Data Mining/Machine Learning/AI/Natural Language Processing
- Business Intelligence/Competitive Intelligence
- Analytics/Statistics - specifically Web Analytics, A/B Testing and statistical analysis
As our own Audrey Watters put it:
If The Graduate were remade today, the advice to young Benjamin Braddock might be "just one word... statistics."
The application requirements are as follows:
- College Junior or Senior Computer Science students (majors or minors) and beginning Graduate students.
- Students should show strong academic performance and must have sufficient mathematical and programming experience.
- Applicants must currently be living in the United States as citizens, residents or Visa holders.
Here's an introduction video from University of Illinois:
For more information on what data scientists do, check out some of our previous articles on the subject: