its first major software update. In our coverage of other top Internet trends, the battle for location enlisted some real armies; Richard MacManus wrote about how software is more important than sensors in the Internet of Things; and in real-time Web coverage, the UN plans on open sourcing global crises.Our top story of the week was that the iPad, that perennial newsmaker, is getting
Top Stories of the Week
- The iPad is Getting Its First Major Software Update: Here's What's New in iOS 4.2
- RIP Ask.com: Web Search is Over at Ask
- How to Use Blekko to Rock at Your Job
- FarmVille is Still the Most Popular Facebook App - But #2 is a Surprise
Download The Age of Exabytes: Tools & Approaches for Managing Big Data
We are experiencing a big data explosion, a result not only of increasing Internet usage by people around the world, but also the connection of billions of devices to the Internet. Eight years ago, for example, there were only around 5 exabytes of data online. Just two years ago, that amount of data passed over the Internet over the course of a single month. And recent estimates put monthly Internet data flow at around 21 exabytes of data.
Our latest report, The Age of Exabytes, explores how technologies are evolving to address the needs of managing big data, from innovations in storage at the chip and data center level, to the development of frameworks used for distributed computing, to the increasing demand for analytical tools that can glean insights from big data in near real-time. Download it for free now.
- The Battle for "Location," This Time with Real Armies
- Magitti: The Future of Location Apps From PARC?
Internet of Things
- The (Near) Future of Medicine: Take Two Computers and IM Me in the Morning
- Why Software is More Important Than Sensors in the Internet of Things
Check Out The ReadWriteWeb iPhone App
ReadWriteEnterprise is devoted to enterprise 2.0 and using social software inside organizations.
- What Web Apps Are Employees Using at Work?
- 3 Challenges for Enterprise 2.0 Now That It's Gone Mainstream
- No More Hand Holding: Why Consultants Need to Build Apps
- Google Voice Coming to Google Apps Subscribers (Updated)
- How Google Views Cloud Security and the New Application Model
- 5 Ways Google TV Will Disrupt Web Analytics
ReadWriteBiz is a resource and guide for small to medium businesses.
- How Real-Time Analytics Can Help Small Businesses Thrive
- Network Roulette: Chatroulette for Professional Networking
- SMB Tech Roundup: Productivity Apps, Google Announcements and Calculating Marketing ROI
ReadWriteHack is a resource and guide for developers.
- Could Serverside Frameworks Become Irrelevant?
- Kinect Drivers Hacked - What Will YOU Build with It?
ReadWriteMobile is dedicated to helping its community understand the strategic business and technical implications of developing mobile applications.
- Twitter Plus iTunes Ping is a Non-Starter
- New Service Brings Single Click Checkout to Android
- Open Mobile Summit: 4 Ways to Monetize Apps
Enjoy your weekend everyone!
Subscribe to the Weekly Wrap-up
You can subscribe to the Weekly Wrap-up by RSS or by email below.
RWW Weekly Wrap-up Email Subscription form: