expected to announce today the new location-based features that it has been working on for months.Facebook is
It's speculated that Facebook will make it possible for users to add a location to their updates and possibly virtually "check in" to places such as restaurants, stores and even events.
ReadWriteWeb's Facebook Places Coverage:
- Tired of Checking In on Multiple Apps? Try Checkin+
- Gowalla 3.0: One Check-In to Rule Them All
- Sponsor Post: The Ultimate Check-in: Your $29.97 Dumb Phone
- Facebook and the Future of Check-ins
- Mappr Brings Foursquare Check-ins to Facebook Groups
- Giant Wooden Pointers at University Remind Students to Check In on Facebook [UPDATED: PHOTOS]
- How to Hack Nike+ for Automatic Foursquare Check-ins
- Facebook Wants to Be Your One True Location
If true, Facebook may have the pleasure of introducing the masses to location-based sharing. A backlash from users would not be surprising.
We'll be live-blogging the highlights from the announcement. While you're waiting, check out this previous post on ReadWriteWeb about the benefits of location-based updates: Why We Check In: The Reasons People Use Location-Based Social Networks.
Watch it here at 5 p.m.: