Are you subscribing to too many blogs? Tired of the same old stuff flowing through your feeds? Think there's a better way? Well, I have just the idea for you. Join myself and others in the dumping of our RSS feeds for an entire month!
RSS Reset Month
Devised by myself and Phil Glockner of Scribkin, we recently talked for a few hours about the overflow of feeds and the repetition of certain topics and sites. With so much more out there to see, there were only a limited amount of ways to get to them without jeopardizing what was already amounting to information overload. This is where RSS Reset Month comes in. Here's the plan and list of rules:
- Keep feeds that track web site buzz (business-impacting).
- Allow feeds such as Disqus, Intense Debate or other low-volume feeds that are necessary for timely work decisions.
- Allow adding as many Google Reader Shared Items feeds as needed.
- Allow adding of aggregate, smart or keyword-filtered feeds such as RSSmeme FriendFeed Friends or TechMeme.
- Allow adding smaller site feeds. We set the upper limit for a small site to be 200 at the time of adding. This can be re-visited if the number is too small.
- Allowance process: If a site feed is so unique that it is not being covered by the processes defined above, an allowance will be made to subscribe to a direct feed to any site. The number of allowances can not exceed 10.
RSS Reset will be in effect for an entire month. Be sure to back up your original OPML file just in case you want to give it a try and decide not to continue at some point. Meanwhile, you can check out what Phil and I are adding on Toluu (Corvida, Phil). All the feeds added will also be conveniently "retweeted" on Twitter.
What's the Point?
Finding new content is hard enough. Finding new subscriptions while keeping up with your current subscriptions can be even tougher. Subscribing to more aggregation sites and smaller quality blogs will allow you to venture into unexplored territories, while giving the "little guys" a chance to be heard.
If you'd like to sign up for Toluu and join in on the fun, leave a comment down below.