hundreds of alternative search engines to choose from. Once again here are the 'ground rules', as prepared by AltSearchEngines editor Charles Knight:Are you ready to spend a whole day, today (Tuesday), without using Google? There are literally
1. All day Tuesday, June 12th, donÄôt use any of the 5 major search engines.
2. Avoid Meta search engines, since most of them include the major search engines.
3. Likewise, the specialized vertical search engines may be too narrowly focused.
4. Consider changing your homepage or downloading their toolbar. You can always uninstall everything and change back on Wednesday.
5. On Wednesday, leave a detailed comment on AltSearchEngines and share your experience with the rest of us. Which alt search engine did you chose? How would you rate the experience?
Larry Dignan from Between The Lines (whose idea this was to begin with) is exploring alternative search engines with gusto, despite running into a lack of browser toolbars and add-ons for said search engines. Perhaps that is something for Google's competitors to work on.
As for me, I will be checking out Hakia and other search engines tomorrow (actually Wednesday for me, but I work on US time these days!). If you are taking part in the Day Without Google, be sure to comment on your experiences over on AltSearchEngines - where already there are many comments.