I'm preparing an article about "Vocal Search", a.k.a. talking search engines. Ironically just today we heard the news about Google's new Voice Local Search service - an experiment from the Google Labs. While Google's service competes with other 411 services in the US, notably Microsoft's Tellme Networks, in my research of alt search engines I've found a lot of interesting voice services out there.
Many of the other talking search engines have very innovative UIs. In fact, as usual I find the alt search engines to be superior to Google - but see for yourself... Please take a few minutes and "talk" to these search engines, then come back and vote for the one you think does the best job in the poll below.
Ms Dewey finding results for Web 3.0 (just for our editor...)
- Ms. Dewey (www.msdewey.com)
- Foxy Voxy (www.askvox.com)
- Abby (www.abbyme.com)
- Speeglebot (http://bot.speegle.co.uk)
- Tellme by Voice (http://beta.tellme.com/voice)
- Heather (http://www.talkingtoolbar.com) (Free trial)
- Google Voice Local Search (http://labs.google.com/goog411/)